What do I need to do when I'm eligible for Medicare?
After you become eligible for Medicare it's time to enroll. You will need to enroll in Medicare Part A and/or Part B first before you can enroll in any additional coverage.
Some people are automatically enrolled in Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) once they're eligible, but not everyone is.
You'll be automatically enrolled in Original Medicare if:
- You're receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits when you turn 65; or
- You're eligible for Medicare because of a disability or medical condition.
You must enroll yourself in Original Medicare if:
- You're not receiving Social Security benefits when you become eligible for Medicare.
There are three ways to enroll yourself in Medicare:
- Online at www.SocialSecurity.gov .
- Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- In-person at your local Social Security office.